Vesting Options - Dialogue

commish
Site Admin

Vesting Options - Dialogue

Post by commish » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

I'm 50/50 on this so your comments can easily sway me.

If we were to have vesting options for players it would be under the following circumstances:

1. Only the final year of the contract.
2. Vesting option $ amount would probably need to be the smallest yearly amount of the contract. So, $5M, $4M, $3M (vest) would be good. Not reversed.
3. Vesting criteria....my thought here is rather than list SP no less than 25 GS, etc. I would leave it in the hands of the GM's to make fair and and honorable criteria based on what might be realistic. So, self monitoring on this one. Should we get something that is not practical I will step in but I'm comfortable trusting the GM's to manage this one.

Please share your thoughts/preferences.
GLBL Commish

milwaukee_mike

Re: Vesting Options - Dialogue

Post by milwaukee_mike » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Allow vesting options, but only on contracts OFFERED to players aged 30+ years.

The above is just an idea, and really I'm fine with GMs self reviewing vesting options. Agree they should only be allowed for the last year of a deal though. I don't recommend limiting what the vesting year can be, I should be able to offer a $5m per across 5 years, with the last year vesting, especially if offering to an older guy.

Dan_thunder_bay

Post by Dan_thunder_bay » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Vesting options totally fine for me. Not a huge user of them. I'd like to have team options though, and I'd be okay with a rule of only the last year cna be a team option and minimum buyout about (20% or something).

aef027

Post by aef027 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:44 pm

I am indifferent on the subject and can adapt with or without vesting options.
Al Flynn
Traverse City Bears GM

Windsor_Greg

Post by Windsor_Greg » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:20 pm

I like what Mike said - vesting options for players over 30, since good players often get "meaty" contracts in their early 30s, it might be nice to have a vesting option for their final year.

I'm also fine with whatever you decide Steve - I'm not set on anything in particular.

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Decision:

Effective now, the GLBL will allow ONE vesting year in the final year of the contract without consideration to the age of the player.

As a heads up, we've all seen GM's set up unrealistic vesting options that are impossible to meet, or not germane to the actual position a player is used at (example: reliever with 20 GS as an option) but I don't anticipate an issue with this group. Rather than set up hard limits and guidelines I'm going to trust GM's to be diligent in what they structure. Please keep in mind we have a 130 game season and not 162.

If a contract seems 'iffy' I'll work it out with the GM, but, I think this will be a nice addition that will not impact us negatively.

Thanks to all who commented.
GLBL Commish