GLBL - Inter-league Play Discussion

commish
Site Admin

GLBL - Inter-league Play Discussion

Post by commish » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Discuss the pros and cons of inter-league play. Also, suggestions for the split can be featured here.
GLBL Commish

Al B

Re: GLBL - Inter-league Play Discussion

Post by Al B » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:32 pm

A big part of why I favor interleague play in this league is because I'd like to play more games, period. I know there's no "correct" number of games for a baseball schedule, but it's been 162 games in MLB for my whole life, so that's what seems "correct" to me. Traditional milestones like 20-win seasons for pitchers, 200-hit seasons for batters, 100-win seasons for teams, etc. are are all but impossible under our current situation. I don't care if the schedule we adopt is exactly 162 but I'd like it to be in the ballpark.

That being said, we already play an awful lot of games against the other teams in our league, and I'd rather play fewer, not more. Interleague play would solve both of my scheduling concerns.

Under our current rules it is mandated that I vote for All-Stars and post-season awards for the Canadian League, but I don't play those teams and therefore I pay scant attention to them. If they were on my schedule I'd be looking at them a lot more than I do now.

I would suggest one 3-game home and one 3-game away series against each team on the other side of the border (that's 36 games total), and 24 games each against the teams in the same league (120 games total) for a 156-game season.

TristramsDad

Post by TristramsDad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:40 pm

I agree with Al that I would like to see a longer season, more along the lines of what is played in MLB.

I would favor 100 games against the teams from our league - at 20 games versus each league rival, that is still bunch - and 10 games apiece against the six teams in the other league. Ten games is an odd number for scheduling but it could be a pair of two-game sets and a pair of three-game sets or a couple of fat home and away five-game series. A nice, round 160.

omniart

Post by omniart » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:23 am

When it comes to the MLB, I am firmly against interleague play. In the case of our league, I would be in favor of it.

There are no rules differences between our leagues: no pesky DH rules to worry about. We have fewer teams than MLB and could keep a balanced schedule: every team in one league plays every team in the other league the same number of times, home and away. It could be argued that interleague play makes the All-Star Game and the Championship Series less special, but my response is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the positive side, we would have some extra excitement during the season. I'd love to compete with the rest of my Canadian brethren against the Americans for bragging rights. I'd love to see if Milwaukee's bats are really all that. I'd love to see a grudge match between Hamilton and Milwaukee. I'd love to play Bill, since we still have a bit of a rivalry from our days in the ABL.

As to implementation, I prefer Al's suggestion: one 3-game home and one 3-game away series against each team in the other league. That's only 36 interleague games total. Nice and clean.

Also, I disagree with the above commenters about having a longer season. I understand their point about familiar benchmarks (20-win seasons for pitchers and so forth), but I find that point outweighed by the simple fact that a longer season means just that, a longer season. 20 more games means another week's worth of sims per season, and more sims per seasons means fewer seasons per year. This is a more tangible negative to me than benchmarks. (The benchmark issue is mostly an issue within ones mind. It's just as valid to think that this league will be unique, will develop its own character, and will establish its own benchmarks.) I would also add that 140 games has proven to be adequate for separating out the best teams in the league. Do we really need Milwaukee to prove their quality over another 20 games?

If interleague play is approved and if we plan to keep a balanced schedule, then we will have to make at least a small change to the number of games played. Assuming 36 interleague games, the smallest change would be to have a total of 136 games (20 games x 5 teams = 100 games within ones league) or 146 games (22 games x 5 = 110 games within ones league).

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks to those that commented.

Here is my current thinking:

1. I'm open to inter-league play.
2. 36 Games would be the max.
3. I am not inclined to play 162. We are a small league with an established base line of 140 game schedules and keeping within range of that number is good for reasons I won't go into right now (would happily expound if asked).

A possible scenario would be:

Intra league play 105 games (21 vs. each team)
Inter league play 36 games (6 vs. each team)
Total games: 141

This would satisfy the inter-league desire of some/many while maintaining our base line of 140/141.

So, please ponder the above as we are nearing the end of our season.
GLBL Commish

Al B

Post by Al B » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm okay with the scenario you've laid out here.

162 games (or thereabouts) is just my preference. I like it because it's what I'm used to, and because it would make it easier to make meaningful statistical comparisons between real baseball and this league. But it's not something that I can't live without. So I'm not going to try to change your mind, although I am interested in hearing why you prefer 140 games (since you have offered to expound, and happily, no less).

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:37 pm

1. We have an established baseline that gives context to our 3 years. If we expand games all those records, for better or worse, will be eclipsed or at the minimum have their value changed.

2. We are a 12 team league. There will be some years, maybe even most years, where just 4 teams are legitimate contenders after the All Star break. For teams not in the mix, maybe as much as 2/3 of the league, it's a pretty boring/meaningless stretch. I think if you are buried in the standings you just want to get to next season. Granted we are just talking 5 sims, or one week. So, it's not impossible to change this but I'd need to know that almost all of you wanted it to be changed.

Contrast to MLB with their wild cards and long seasons....it's not unusual for several teams to remain in the mix right down to the wire. It's exciting for virtually all those teams to see how it plays out.

3. I seriously believe there is no magic number for games played in ootp leagues. It's what you commit to and what makes sense. GLBL will never be a league that changes much as I do that for your protection as much as my own preferences, i.e. you join a non-dh league you expect it to stay that way because that was one of the draws in the first place.

So, tweaking the mix like inter-league play is fine as is age limits, etc., for minors, but we'll try and keep the core principals in place. Whatever we do most components, save a few, are always up for discussion.

Thanks.
GLBL Commish

TristramsDad

Post by TristramsDad » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:47 pm

I like playing a wider variety of teams, so interleague play is something I favor. I understand you want to stick around 140 games, but playing 105 each of our league mates 21 times means games will not be evenly divided in terms of home and away for all teams. I would suggest 18 intraleague games against each opponent and 48 interrelate games for a total of 138.

More even and you are still right around 140.

So in general, I support your plan.

TristramsDad

Post by TristramsDad » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:08 pm

Not "interrelate," but "interleague."

Damn this spellcheck.

milwaukee_mike

Post by milwaukee_mike » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Not a fan of 141 games...

Would prefer:

30 interleague (5 against each)
110 intraleague (22 against each)

Basically anything that maintains 140 games - be it inter or intra league I'm fine with.