GLBL - Inter-league Play Discussion

Alex (Hamilton)

Re: GLBL - Inter-league Play Discussion

Post by Alex (Hamilton) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:46 am

Yes

omniart

Post by omniart » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:45 am

Two 2-game series versus teams in the other league? You're really testing my aesthetic sense, there. I still think the best option is a 136- or 146-game season: 6 games vs. teams in the other league (3H/3A), and either 20/22 games vs. teams within ones league (either 10H/10A or 11H/11A).

However, I probably need to get over my own obsessions. The perfect (in my mind) being the enemy of the good and all that.

Looking over the specs for that schedule, I like the general design but the implementation is loose. In particular, there is GMO's already loose standard of homestands & roadtrips being up to 14 games (MLB teams usually play 2 series in a row home or away, sometimes 3, but this pushes that to the upper side of 4), but the way he designed interleague play in these huge home/away blocks means that some teams will have "extended homestands/roadtrips up to 25 games." Yikes! If we do choose this, then I am definitely going to be taking a crack at designing a better schedule. The larger point, though, is that the general schedule design is good. It's just this particular implementation of a 144-game schedule that I dislike.

Weighing all of this, I will vote ... YES.

milwaukee_mike

Post by milwaukee_mike » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:06 am

I'll go against the grain and vote no to inter-league ;) keep the mystery of the other league alive ;)

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:36 pm

omniart wrote:Two 2-game series versus teams in the other league? You're really testing my aesthetic sense, there. I still think the best option is a 136- or 146-game season: 6 games vs. teams in the other league (3H/3A), and either 20/22 games vs. teams within ones league (either 10H/10A or 11H/11A).

However, I probably need to get over my own obsessions. The perfect (in my mind) being the enemy of the good and all that.

Looking over the specs for that schedule, I like the general design but the implementation is loose. In particular, there is GMO's already loose standard of homestands & roadtrips being up to 14 games (MLB teams usually play 2 series in a row home or away, sometimes 3, but this pushes that to the upper side of 4), but the way he designed interleague play in these huge home/away blocks means that some teams will have "extended homestands/roadtrips up to 25 games." Yikes! If we do choose this, then I am definitely going to be taking a crack at designing a better schedule. The larger point, though, is that the general schedule design is good. It's just this particular implementation of a 144-game schedule that I dislike.

Weighing all of this, I will vote ... YES.
Please take a crack at designing a better schedule. It's hard, but if you can get it to do what you want it to do...

Here's another GMO that might work? Again 144 (there are simply no pre-fab 140 inter-leagues).
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/o ... ost2701833

It appears to satisfy a couple of your concerns?
GM Owen Sound Waveriders - April 24, 2019
Canadian League Champions - 2020

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 pm

I appreciate Martin taking the time to drill down into the specifics. Better now than later.

And, yes, a big yes, if you want to design a schedule for us. If not, pending approval, we can go with the existing form.

Once we switch to a new set of games, i.e. 144, I would prefer to keep that amount of games in place and not revisit the amount of games we play every year because a more attractive schedule exists. Review Design and layout,yes, amount of games no. Let's take our time and get it right the first time.

Thanks, David, for posting the 2nd schedule above.
GLBL Commish

TristramsDad

Post by TristramsDad » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:17 am

Unless the schedule is one hundred percent even (i.e. every team plays every other team in its division the same number of times and every team outside its division the same number of times with the same number of home and road games against each), then I will vote NO on interleague play.

From what I read at the other website, it seems that the proposed schedule which would include interleague play is NOT even. If I have that wrong, someone please let me know.

I have proposed this schedule before and I will outline it again here. Many members of the league wanted to keep the number of games at (or as close as possible to) 140 and my proposition sets the season at 138 games.

Eighteen games against each of the five teams in your league for a total of 90 games.

Eight games against each of the six teams in the other league for a total of 48 games.

OTHER EVEN SCHEDULE POSSIBILITIES...

Eighteen games against each of the five teams in your league for a total of 90 games.

Ten games against each of the six teams in the other league for a total of 60 games. This yields a 150-game season.

OR...

Sixteen games against each of the five teams in your league for a total of 80 games.

Ten games against each of the six teams in the other league for a total of 60 games. Ta-da...a 140-game season.

So I am, now and forever, fully in favor of adopting interleague play through ANY OF THE ABOVE EVEN SCHEDULES that I have outlined. Please consider my vote cast for the rest of my life on this subject so I never have to visit this page again.

Thanks!

omniart

Post by omniart » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:22 am

TristramsDad wrote:From what I read at the other website, it seems that the proposed schedule which would include interleague play is NOT even. If I have that wrong, someone please let me know.
David provided links to two different schedules. The first schedule is balanced:
  • 24 games/team vs. teams in own league (12H/12A): 24 games/team x 5 teams = 120 games
  • 4 games/team vs. teams in other league (2H/2A): 4 games/team x 6 teams = 24 games
  • 120 games + 24 games = 144 games.
The second schedule is not balanced. It has 9 games/team vs. teams in other league. That also totals 9 games/team x 6 teams = 54 games. It's easy to miss in a discussion that has gone on sporadically over the course of a few seasons, but Steve stated (here that 36 interleague games would be the maximum. This would also disqualify the schedules that you propose (which are balanced and would work otherwise).

There are a lot of constraints here: relatively small number of interleague games, a total as close as possible to 140 games, fully balanced schedule. The schedule in David's first link satisfies those constraints.

I've begun to work on a better version of that schedule, but (as David has stated) making a schedule is far, far harder than it looks at first glance. I have done it before, but it takes great patience. I doubt that I would have it ready for this upcoming season.

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:46 pm

TristramsDad wrote:I have proposed this schedule before and I will outline it again here. Many members of the league wanted to keep the number of games at (or as close as possible to) 140 and my proposition sets the season at 138 games.

Eight games against each of the six teams in the other league for a total of 48 games.

OTHER EVEN SCHEDULE POSSIBILITIES...

Ten games against each of the six teams in the other league for a total of 60 games. This yields a 150-game season.

OR...

Sixteen games against each of the five teams in your league for a total of 80 games.
Ten games against each of the six teams in the other league for a total of 60 games. Ta-da...a 140-game season.
Do you have these schedules made up for OOTP?
If so, I would love to see each of them. More than willing to give them a test drive too. I only linked to a couple of schedules I found (happened to be 144) only because I could not easily find a 140 (or even a 138).
GM Owen Sound Waveriders - April 24, 2019
Canadian League Champions - 2020

Detroit_Eddie

Post by Detroit_Eddie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 pm

No