GLBL - Inter-league Play Discussion

Alex (Hamilton)

Re: GLBL - Inter-league Play Discussion

Post by Alex (Hamilton) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Late to the party, but I think interleauge play would be good, though I'd like to maintain the length of the season.

Either that, or add another 6 teams to each league;)

Al B

Post by Al B » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:35 pm

commish wrote:We have an established baseline that gives context to our 3 years. If we expand games all those records, for better or worse, will be eclipsed or at the minimum have their value changed.
Which is something that has happened numerous times in real baseball, as well as in the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. It doesn't seem to bother people too much in real life, I don't know why it should bother people in a fictional league.
omniart wrote:I would also add that 140 games has proven to be adequate for separating out the best teams in the league. Do we really need Milwaukee to prove their quality over another 20 games?
This year? No, we don't. Next year--who knows? Last season we had a terrific three-team race in the USA for most of the season. With a few weeks to go Milwaukee and Duluth started pulling away from Chicago, and it looked like a wrap. Then with about a week, maybe a week and a half left in the season, Duluth suddenly collapsed--I think they went like 1-9 to finish the season--allowing Chicago to sneak into the postseason.

The point is: 140 games was the perfect number of games to allow that race to end as dramatically as it did--that time. But that's just how it happened to play out for one year; we have no way of knowing if extending the season another week or two would have made that race more exciting or less exciting. Maybe it would have ended in a three-way tie. Or maybe the race would have been effectively over with a week to play. There is, as Steve said, "no magic number for games played in an ootp league". 140 games may seem "sufficient" some years. Other years it may seem too long or too short. I'm guessing Duluth might have considered it two or three days too long last year.
milwaukee_mike wrote:Basically anything that maintains 140 games - be it inter or intra league I'm fine with.
I'm just trying to understand why. The number itself seems arbitrary--or does it have some significance I'm missing? If it's just a matter of not wanting to change something that's been established (for a mere three seasons), then why are we discussing inter-league play? It's already been established that our two leagues don't play each other--why is that long-standing tradition not sacred, but the 140-game schedule is?

I don't mind the 140-game schedule so much; again, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I would just like to understand why people are so attached to it.

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:02 am

While the number of games played per season is not universally agreed upon the GM's who have commented seem to prefer some inter-league play.

Thanks to all who have offered comments and ideas.

Here is a possible scenario for 2018 (Not Final)

1. Season length remains 140
2. Inter-league play
A. 110 games vs. teams in your league (22x5)
B. 30 games vs. teams in the other league (5x6)

Note: Now I realize that this not a 'balanced' approach but I don't see that as a biggie because even in MLB they have the regional rivalry series so not every scheduling component embraces a level playing field.

3. Playoff Format
The idea of the top 2 Wild Card teams being from the same league does not appeal to me because it sets up a dynamic where the Championship Series might be two teams from the same league. I like the USA vs Canada dynamic. What this does mean is that inter-league games will have less impact on the destiny of your team....and I'm wondering if GM's really want that. At the same time it will be a barometer to which league is really the strongerst...and I sort of like that. I'm okay either way.
GLBL Commish

Al B

Post by Al B » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Back to this oldie but goodie.

I propose a preliminary vote to determine the level of support inter-league play has.

I want to see if anybody is strongly opposed to it. If it's a deal breaker for somebody, as in "I wouldn't have even joined this league if I knew there was the possibility of inter-league play", then I'm fine with throwing the proposal out the window.

If no one is opposed to the idea in theory, then we can move ahead to the next stage, which is presenting competing plans and seeing which one draws the most support.

So can we get a head count on who is for it, or at least who is not vehemently opposed to it?

TBay_Rob

Post by TBay_Rob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Thunder Bay votes in favour of interleague play as long as we never have to play Chicago. ;)

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:00 pm

In short:
Inter-league - Yes
Games - 140

The league is small, so 140 without inter-league means a very steady diet of five teams, at least this would broaden the horizon.
I am sensitive to the 140 games being the benchmark now and to uphold that number (again the league is small enough) so records can stand.

BUT...
Creating schedules (I have done a couple) is really hard and it's very telling that there is NOT a 140game/12team INTER-LEAGUE schedule available in the vast collection of schedules in the OOTP forum.
And the game doesn't seem to want to create one with inter-league in a mock trial of the GLBL setup, so this might be a non-starter, unless someone knows how to create the correct schedule.

There are 12 teams and 130-144-154-160 and 162 of course, but not 12/140 combination (of any kind).

Although 144 games, this might be a candidate:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/o ... ost2699900
GM Owen Sound Waveriders - April 24, 2019
Canadian League Champions - 2020

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 am

David....nice work unearthing the schedule and posting for us. thanks you.

OK, a few deal breakers....anything over 144 I won't sign off on. I want the GLBL to remain an 'unlike MLB league experience' with it's own personality and part of that is being smaller.

But, I will entertain not being stuck on 140, with some regret, but all leagues evolve and change and if inter-league play is a priority for the GM's (still TBD) then I can look past 140 to 144. With a league with the brief history of ours upping the schedule 4 games is not a radical departure.

At the risk of being premature I don't think there is much discuss....just indicate your preference below.

So, GM's say YES or NO to the highlighted question.

Yes or No...144 inter league schedule per the link David posted above.

If the vote is close we can massage the details. If it's overwhelming either way we go with the new schedule or it falls off the table. If the vote is stuck around 2/3 I'll make a decision at that time.
GLBL Commish

Al B

Post by Al B » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:21 am

I VOTE YES

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:22 am

Yes 144
GM Owen Sound Waveriders - April 24, 2019
Canadian League Champions - 2020

atsather