Voting Preference for All Stars and Awards

commish
Site Admin

Voting Preference for All Stars and Awards

Post by commish » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:28 am

State your preference for GM voting or letting the game decide All Stars and Awards.
GLBL Commish

DavidJ

Re: Voting Preference for All Stars and Awards

Post by DavidJ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Seems to me there are several levels of commitment to manual awards:

1) Fanatical - Spend plenty of time pouring over the data and likely going back and forth between Statslab and OOTP to check stats (You know who you are).
2) Casual - Reviews the Statslab material and casts a vote based mainly on what is presented there (may check OOTP or online reports) and I would include myself in this one.
3) If I have to - Would rather not; Not my thing; Fine with having the game pick these; My focus is elsewhere; OK I will if I have too; When's the absolute deadline?
4) Meh - Let the game do it, I really could care less.

I am not judging the last two at all, everybody loves certain parts of both the game and an online league. But GLBL is such an intimate, slow-paced, league, where everyone seems to be on a first name basis (even if most of us have never met and don't know each other outside of Slack) it is curious? And, for that same reason, I doubt this is a "take my ball and go home" vote.

It sounds very "neutral" but I would be fine either way!

My suggestion however, if at all possible, is that we migrate this process to StatsPlus for next season and hope that Dave refines the process. The more I view S+ (and it might just be some "new and shiny toy" creeping in) the more I like it and the more I find Dave to be responsive. If he could do only two things, I would consider S+ to be a major victory to making this more enjoyable:

1) Have the program condense the choices to a handful (possibly 5 position players per position) and 10 each SP and RP. There are so many comparatively bad choices, especially among pitchers, it does make it more of a burden than it has to be IMHO. Picking 1 (or 1-2-3) of 5 or 10 is far, far easier! Much of the "fanatical" work having already happened behind the scenes (if Dave can make this happen, through app code, of course).

2) Specifically for the "Flashing Leather (Gold Glove)" awards, have the appropriate stats (ZR, Eff, etc.) part of the process, but again narrow the choices to only the best of the best as above.
GM Owen Sound Waveriders - April 24, 2019
Canadian League Champions - 2020

Al B

Post by Al B » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:03 pm

I wish those weren't the only two choices.

I'm in favor of allowing OOTP to determine Flashing Leather Awards. I'm fine with allowing the GMs vote on the others.

Given the choice between all or nothing, I am strongly in favor having OOTP do the all and the GMs do the nothing.

Sorry if this offends anybody, but the GMs as a group do not to a very good job of selecting the fielding awards in this league. Our Slack discussion revealed some of the reasons why this is the case. To touch on David's description of commitment levels, the "meh" reaction is much more prevalent with the fielding awards than it is with the others; that's why we end up with some pretty iffy Flashing Leather winners, but usually get very reasonable winners for the other awards.

Count me as a "YES" for turning the whole thing over to OOTP.

TristramsDad

Post by TristramsDad » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:50 pm

In general, I concur with Al's statement and would prefer to leave the voting to the guys who know the most about baseball...the German dudes who invented OOTP. This means never having to argue in Slack again about the various merits of various players and their varying degrees of deservedness for any given award, which wastes time and induces far too much emotional monkey business for me to be involved with. I can't keep arguing that people should take fake awards for fake players in a fake baseball league more seriously than they choose to. In fact, I found it's fun to not base your selections on anything concrete (like stats), so I have enjoyed my "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach (or re-approach, I should say) to this season's voting.

That being said, I also agree with Al that voting for the various player awards could be trusted to our GM corps but would prefer to see the Flashing Leather awards selected by the game.

Machines good, people bad! Machines good, people bad!

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:53 pm

Enjoying the comments and ideas. Keep them coming.
GLBL Commish