Contract Extensions & Free Agent Contracts - Discussion 1-21-16

Description of your first forum.
commish
Site Admin

Contract Extensions & Free Agent Contracts - Discussion 1-21-16

Post by commish » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:46 pm

In the GLBL our current extension & free agent rules appear as follows (I left off #1,#2 points to shorten the message):

3. No player shall earn less than a previous year in the same contract (i.e. year 3 cannot be for less salary than year 1 or year 2)

4. Player option years are allowed

5. Team option years are NOT allowed

6. The total of any bonuses in a contract must not exceed 20% of the total value of the lowest single year of salary
***************************************************************************************************************************************************
This thread is for POINT 3, only. I'm satisfied with 1,& 2 (contract length) and 4,5,and 6...at least for now.

Point 3: Seems overly restrictive to me. With the Team Option years unavailable is there a reason to not allow teams to vary the money from year to year especially with all of it guaranteed? Or maybe variance could be 'limited to 20%'

I'd appreciate some discussion on this point, #3. I'm not a big fan of changing rules, especially mid-season, and would only consider it if everyone was okay with it. Otherwise, adjustments and changes will be implemented at a later date (upon completion of the season), if they are made at all.
GLBL Commish

milwaukee_mike

Re: Contract Extensions & Free Agent Contracts - Discussion 1-21-16

Post by milwaukee_mike » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 pm

I'll comment given that point 3 is a rule I implemented in my SBC league. For Steve's background the only reason I implemented this rule in SBC was that it's a league that started in 1950's Australia and in my eyes they weren't creative enough yet to allow front ended deals :)

From a commish perspective it does mean having to check contracts every sim.

Given this league runs with more modern day settings I'm perfectly happy to remove the restriction of point 3 and allow any type of creative deal a GM can offer - but I do like the no Team Option setting.

Mike
'Doin' the Eagle Rock' ;)

Al B

Post by Al B » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:34 pm

I'm on board for allowing front-loaded contracts.

aef027

Post by aef027 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:43 pm

I also vote in favor of allowing front loaded deals.
Al Flynn
Traverse City Bears GM

Toledo Gaffer

Post by Toledo Gaffer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:13 am

I would prefer to allow the GM the flexibility to manage his salary against his budget and cash availability. As such, I would allow any combination (front loaded, back loaded, middle, high, low) of salary options. That being said, I do believe there should be a range/bracket (e.g. low salary within x% of the high salary). I tend to look at 50% as being a good middle ground. If an average salary is 4M then a range between 6 and 3 would seem reasonable. That percentage tends to scale effectively as well.

Windsor_Greg

Post by Windsor_Greg » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:33 pm

I'm in favor of allowing contracts that are front loaded. I think it makes me "feel better" as a GM when I hand out a long-term contract with a substantial amount of money to a player in their prime. The first few years seem more like the player "earns it" rather than toward the end of the contract when performances can tend to drop off. Just my opinion - I'm totally fine with what the league decides.

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks to all the GM's who took a moment to comment on this issue. I appreciate it.

With no resistance to change, and barring a comment before 7:30 AM Monday offering a reason why we shouldn't amend the rule, I'm prepared to make an alteration to the rules effective Monday. Essentially, we will keep no team options in place but yearly amounts will be in the hands of the GM. Remember....not there, yet.....as GM's have until tomorrow to comment. This is the heads up that it is pending.

Either way I'll make an announcement tomorrow.

Thank you.
GLBL Commish

Alex (Hamilton)

Post by Alex (Hamilton) » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 pm

I was going to say that I don't like them extremely lopsided, at least for star contracts, but it seems like I'm in the minority. Carry on.

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:55 am

Not a problem, Alex. All comments/perspectives will be considered before the final decision.

Thanks.
GLBL Commish

Phil Duluth

Post by Phil Duluth » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:28 pm

No problem from me. Happy to go with the flow.