Introductions

omniart

Introductions

Post by omniart » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:28 pm

I figure that some kind of introductions are in order.

Hello everybody! My name is Martín. It's a Spanish first name (my mom is from Argentina), and it's pronounced like martini without the final i. Despite my name, I know little Spanish. I moved around the country quite a bit when I was young (highlights include Chicago and Wyoming), but I have made a home for myself up here in Seattle. I grew up a Cubs fan but now root for the Mariners. My career is distinctly unimportant: my degree in English has not proven to be the moneymaker that I expected it would be.

I'm a big fan of games and puzzles in general. I like to play chess, and recently I've been having a go at crossword puzzle construction. I have a special fondness for anagrams: my online alias, Carl Berndash Omniart, is an anagram of my full name, Martín Ronald Abresch. I have enjoyed playing computer baseball simulations ever since I was a kid. As a child, I played Radio Baseball and Earl Weaver Baseball. Even then I was creating imaginary teams and designing imaginary logos. I still recall Hank Aaron having an especially stellar season for the Rapid City Grizzlies.

I haven't played in many OOTP leagues, but I've been active in every league that I've joined. I managed the slick-fielding Louisville Thoroughbreds in FullCount Baseball (and won two championships), and I managed the slugging Seattle Sasquatch in the Adult Baseball League (and had zero playoff success, sigh). It was in the ABL that I got to know Steve and a couple other GMs here, Alex (Hamilton Mounties) and William (Toledo Neptunes).

I've been retired from OOTP for a year or so, and it was a complete surprise when Steve invited me to join the Great Lakes League. What persuaded me to fire OOTP back up and join this league was the great group of GMs that Steve has recruited. I'm really excited to be playing against Steve, Alex, and William again. In case you don't know, these guys are active and competitive GMs who are also wonderful human beings.

I look forward to getting to know the rest of you. This league look to be a ton of fun.

Phil Duluth

Re: Introductions

Post by Phil Duluth » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Great stuff Martin!

Here is mine...

I am Phil, I was born in Scotland but currently live in Brunei in South East Asia. I am married with 2 children and we all work/study at an International School in Brunei. This year I teach Year 2, which is 6 and 7 year olds and I also hold a position on the Management of the school as Community Manager. We have been in Brunei 5 years now and we love it! Before Brunei we lived in England and Hong Kong.

I got into OOTP by accident really, I used to play Football Manager and Championship Manager before that. I decided to have a look at the baseball version and I think it was a free old version and to be fair it didn't make much sense to me ! But something persuaded me to buy the latest version - think it was OOTP 12, I played a bit as a solo game and got hooked, although didn't like the trading side of it, and then I decided to venture into the online world. It is the only game I have ever played online ! Fortunately Alex was my first Commish and he guided me through my first few sims with Play at the Plate. I loved the experience and the thrill that playing against real GM's gives and managed to win the World Series once with the Montreal Royals. I also joined a few other leagues as I went on, tying different styles and formats. I am currently in the CBL and this league. I have never taken part in an opening draft so that will be fun when it happens.

I am a Cubs fan. I have been to 3 games of baseball - the Dodgers and the Giants, The Mets and the Padres and the Cubs and the Cardinals. The Cubs game was the one that grabbed me the most - visiting Wrigley Field - I knew very little about the history of the game, but it had an atmosphere, we had good seats and had fun with the fans around us. It was Greg Maddux's last game for the Cubs and again that created a special feeling. I drifted in and out of following baseball - it was much easier to watch living in Asia than in the UK, as we got live games on a Saturday morning in both Hong Kong and Brunei. Also I found Tom Rickets and Theo Epstein taking over the Cubs a great story to follow. I have found a great Cubs blog that I read religiously every day and I watch the highlights and occasional live game via MLB.com on my phone. Slowly but surely Baseball is rivaling soccer for my affections !

Met Steve in PATP and he got me back into OOTP with the CBL and now I'm very excited to be joining him (and a fantastic line up of GM's) in the Great Lakes !

Good Luck everyone - Lets have some fun !

aef027

Post by aef027 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:52 am

My name is Al Flynn and I am a Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA. Married with 3 kids. Was in the US Army (1992-1996) as a Military Policeman. I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC and also did 2 years overseas in South Korea. I have been in online leagues throughout the years. Mainly American Football (FBPRO/FOF), but have dabbled in a few OOTP leagues over the years as well. I also have dabbled in Football Manager 2014. A European buddy in an American Football League recommended it and it's a great game (may even upgrade to newest version in the near future).

My goal is to have fun in the online leagues (win or lose) and meet new and interesting people with a similar interest. I am very excited about this league and have a great feeling for how it will turn out. My other interests are in turn-based strategy games and wargames in general. Also a huge fan of Crusader Kings II. Online sports sims still top out as my favorite hobby and it's always exciting going up against other human GM's. Can't wait to get this started and hopefully we'll be bringing the Championship to Traverse City!
Al Flynn
Traverse City Bears GM

omniart

Post by omniart » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:21 am

Phil Duluth wrote:I am a Cubs fan. I have been to 3 games of baseball - the Dodgers and the Giants, The Mets and the Padres and the Cubs and the Cardinals. The Cubs game was the one that grabbed me the most - visiting Wrigley Field - I knew very little about the history of the game, but it had an atmosphere, we had good seats and had fun with the fans around us. It was Greg Maddux's last game for the Cubs and again that created a special feeling.
I too have been to three games at Wrigley Field, all in the late 80s as a kid. I saw Maddux pitch at Wrigley in his breakout 1988 season. The Cubs beat the Phillies, but Maddux got a no-decision. I recall that it was the first time all season that he had a no-decision. Hey! The Internet is magic: here is the box-score.

The game I best remember was a year later, also against the Phillies. We sat in the bleachers. It was a slugfest. It was the 21st game in rookie Jerome Walton's 30-game hitting streak. Sandberg (my childhood hero) hit two home runs. The Cubs led big early but blew it late. The game started in sunshine, but at the end rain poured down. Here it is! Let's see, the Cubs scored 8 in the 3rd to take a 10-3 lead but lost, 16-13. 1989 was one wild ride.
Phil Duluth wrote:I have found a great Cubs blog that I read religiously every day
I used to read Bleed Cubbie Blue all the time. Both it and View from the Bleachers are fantastic Cubs blogs.
Phil Duluth wrote:Slowly but surely Baseball is rivaling soccer for my affections !
Slowly but surely soccer is rivaling baseball in my affections! I used to only follow soccer come World Cup time—my family rooting for Argentina of course. But I am really getting into the English Premier League. This is the third year that I've followed it. I have adopted Everton as my team.

Now you and Al have got me thinking about trying Football Manager.

Must... Resist... Temptation...

milwaukee_mike

Post by milwaukee_mike » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:19 am

Hey Guys,

Mike here. I'm a New Zealander by birth (22 years there) and spent the last 16 or 17 years living in Sydney, Australia. Like one of the other guys posted, Football Manager/Championship Manager was my first real sports management experience and in OOTP the stats aspect is something I really enjoy.

I got into OOTP 6 I think it was, but only got into online leagues in OOTP14. Now I'm a GM in about 6 and commish only (not GM) two leagues (SBC, set in Sydney and PBF, set in the Pacific Islands).

I'm a mad keen golfer, but having 2 boys about to turn 4 and 1 has meant I probably only get out twice a month these days. So in between work (I run a market research company of around 15 staff, family, golf and OOTP I really don't have much spare time.

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Hey Guys....

In 2011 I opted for an early retirement from the University of Michigan. I had a very enjoyable 25 year career as Executive Chef of the Residential Dining program but wanted to explore some new avenues. I built a 525 sq ft. bakehouse (in 2005) that adjoins my home/garage where I do some instructional classes in baking, pizza, etc. I also do a few Culinary Skills programs for Adults through Ann Arbor Rec & Ed.

Hobbies include writing (working on my own novel and a group story with 5 others), my wiffle ball field (Honey Creek Field that I built in the back of my property), and Tennis that I took up this year (foregoing my 30 some years of racquetball). I play as much as I can and sometimes 5x in a week. I love the challenge of it all and continually attend new skill drills to up my game.

I'm in multiple OOTP leagues and decided to have a league that I commish, in part so I could offer back to my commish friends an opportunity to play in a league, and also just to stretch my boundaries of the game. No problem on the latter, LOL, as there is a lot to being a commish. :)

I live with my wife Susan who I married in 1983 and enjoy a great life with her. Living in Ann Arbor (think cold winters) we've been frequenting some great Caribbean Islands like St. John, Turks & Caicos, and will travel to Martinique this winter for the first time.

Je ne sais pas francais (but learning) ....Maise e mi...enchante!
GLBL Commish

Toledo Gaffer

Post by Toledo Gaffer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:21 am

Greetings all. I go as The Ol' Gaffer (from my England days) or Sir William from the HNBA (the first league I ran and the GM of Hampshire) and the ABL (Nottinghamshire Outlaws and only -the last time I looked-3-peat champion). In fact I still remember Martin's less the complimentary observation of our opening series in the ABL (I think he scored 50 runs in 3 games).

Bill also works. I am also retired from the large systems development arena. Like Mike I am an avid and proliferic golfer (played in one PGA Tour event). I lived in lots of places including England, where I development my football enjoyment and now play football manager from time to time as well. Others, were Mission Viejo, Calif (and 29 Palms), Cincinnati (5 times and where I currently live, Philadelphia (my wife's home), Nashua New Hampshire, Herdon Viginia, Montgomery Alabama, and St Charles Illinois. Definitely a Reds fan.

I am currently on the OOTP Beta team. I specialize in the financials (you can thank/blame me for the new accounting screen in 16), but also try to get Marcus to understand the importance on the on-line community. I currently, run 2 and am CFO in two others. I am thinking a a super league as my final endeavor. It will depend upon what makes it into 17. Steve has been a great participant in my leagues, so I couldn't resist, plus going against Martin, Alex and Mike. Has the makings of a very competitive league. I love to talk trades, but I do look for the equal value. If both teams don't improve, then I won't pull the trigger

When not doing OOTP, or playing bridge (golf in the summer), I will deal with strategy simulations, WWII preferably.

Married 43 years, two daughters, two granddaughters, two grandsons. Gotta love retirement!

Al B

Post by Al B » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi, I'm Al. I am the commissioner of PCL Redux, an alternative history Pacific Coast League replay (the twist being that the PCL breaks the color line in 1921, and the influx of stellar Negro League expats emboldens the league sufficiently to declare itself the third major league). The league is in its inaugural season.

Aside from that, I'm old, have a bad job, a great wife, and too many cats. Live in sunny Southern California (which is cold and overcast today). As a baseball fan, I am partial to your 2010/2012/2014 World Champion San Francisco Giants, and have been since the waning days of the Mays/McCovey/Marichal era. I'm also an Angels fan for some reason.

I've been playing OOTP for a few years, but online leagues are a fairly new thing for me.

commish
Site Admin

Post by commish » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:34 am

I've enjoyed reading these, guys. Good stuff.
GLBL Commish

omniart

Post by omniart » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Toledo Gaffer wrote:In fact I still remember Martin's less the complimentary observation of our opening series in the ABL (I think he scored 50 runs in 3 games).
Heh. I went and dug up some old emails. Here is passage that I wrote that started it all:
Seattle and Nottinghamshire open the season with a 3-game set. League's best offense versus league's worst pitching. I wonder what the over/under is on how many runs I'lll score that series. I'm gonna bet 30.
You took the under, even though your two best pitchers were injured. I scored 16 in the first game but only 28 in the first series. You won that bet. And in a couple seasons, you won everything.

What I loved about playing against you, Bill, is that you struck out in your own direction and experimented. I remember being fascinated by your draft strategy and curious (and somewhat skeptical) as to whether it would work—but boy did it work! I love a radical experiment with an unambiguously successful result.

I'm looking forward to competing against you again!